Bomb wounds Libyan soldier at Benghazi checkpoint

Africa
Members of the Libyan security forces arrest an alleged suspect during an operation to seize explosives and arrest the perpetrators of several bomb attacks on security forces over the past months, on May 17, 2013. Picture:

BENGHAZI, Libya - A drive-by bomb attack on a checkpoint in the heart of Libya's restive second city of Benghazi slightly wounded a soldier early on Saturday, a security official told journalists.

"A bomb was thrown from a car at an army checkpoint at the Dubail crossroads in the centre of Benghazi," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"The attack was carried out at around 2am," the official said, adding that the identity of the assailants was not known.

Benghazi, cradle of the 2011 uprising against former dictator Muammar Gaddafi, has seen a spate of attacks on security forces and Western interests in recent months, highlighting the inability of the authorities to establish effective security in Libya.

The attacks are usually blamed on radical Islamists, such as the group which raided the US consulate in Benghazi last September 11, killing four Americans including ambassador Chris Stevens.

On Wednesday, gunmen attacked and set fire to a police station to avenge the death of a colleague during an earlier attempt to storm it.

And on Friday, a bomb apparently targeting troops guarding an empty school building caused damage but no casualties.

-AFP

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Five suspects are on the run after shooting two police constables who approached them while patrolling Dawn Park township.
Gauteng Legislature to press charges against Julius Malema and members of his EFF party.
The SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has found a Bloemfontein school's staff, who called black and coloured pupils "kaffirs, baboons (and) monkeys" guilty of hate speech.

TOP STORIES view all

The bodies of the first victims from a Malaysian airliner shot down over Ukraine last week arrived back in the Netherlands on Wednesday amid dignified grief tinged with anger.
A suicide bomb on Wednesday in the northern Nigeria city of Kaduna killed at least 25 people, police said.
The charges were laid after members of the EFF stormed the Gauteng Legislature on Tuesday and damaged property.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close