WASHINGTON - US President Barack Obama will make a statement on Egypt on Thursday, the White House said, as the death toll after a crackdown on protesters there rose to more than 500.
The White House said Obama, who is vacationing on the Massachusetts resort island of Martha's Vineyard, would make the statement at 10:15 am (1415 GMT).
US Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday called the violence "deplorable" and called on the Egyptian military to organise elections.
But the White House has so far not commented on calls for it to cut the annual $1.3-billion in US military aid to Egypt.
The New York Times and the Washington Post, attacked Obama's handling of the crisis in editorials Thursday, calling on the president to cut military aid.
The Post said the administration's failure to do so earlier made it "complicit in the new and horrifyingly bloody crackdown".
*This article has been updated to include comments from US Secretary of State John Kerry, as well as The New York Times and the Washington Post.