20 die at initiation school

South Africa
UKZN Head of African Studies Sihawukele Ngubane says that while ritual of initiation is acceptable as it is practiced throughout the continent, the process is unsafe and government needs to intervene. eNCA
At least 20 boys have died in the last six days after attending initiation schools in Mpumalanga. The deaths occurred at schools in Belfast, KwaMhlanga, Kwaggafontein, Verena and Middelburg. Picture: PASCAL DELOCHE

MPUMALANGA - At least 20 boys have died in the last six days after attending initiation schools in Mpumalanga, police said on Tuesday.

The deaths occurred at schools in Belfast, KwaMhlanga, Kwaggafontein, Verena and Middelburg, Colonel Leonard Hlathi said.

"We have opened murder cases."

No arrests had been made and police were still collecting statements. The information would then be presented to the national director of public prosecutions for a decision on how to proceed.

Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane was saddened by the deaths of young people at initiation schools in South Africa.

"The reported loss of several young lives in Mpumalanga and elsewhere in the country is regrettable," he said in a statement.

"This has happened to young people who were still at their prime, looking forward to a brighter future where they could still reach their potential."

He said the boys attended initiation schools with the hope of reaching manhood.

"We call on the traditional leadership to work together with government to prevent this regrettable loss of lives."

Mpumalanga co-operative governance and traditional affairs MEC Simon Skhosana and the chairman of the province's house of traditional leaders, Kgoshi Mathibela Mokoena, conveyed their condolences to the families of the initiates.

In a statement the department said its disaster management centre had provided tents which department of health officials used as mobile clinics at some of the initiation schools.

"These tents are spread across all areas in the province where there are initiation schools. The department is working closely with the department of health to ensure the safety of initiates."
 

-eNCA

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

After a formal complaint by the minister of women affairs, eNCA has retracted a statement suggesting Susan Shabangu called Cyril Ramaphosa a liar.
South African Olympic gold medallists, James Thompson and John Smith, were crowned champions at the World Rowing Championships in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, on Saturday.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has likened sanctions to "an invasion of the Iranian nation" and called on Iranians to "resist the invasion and put the invaders in their place."

TOP STORIES view all

Lesotho Prime Minister Tom Thabane confirmed that the military had seized power in a coup in the tiny kingdom and that he had fled to neighbouring South Africa in fear of his life.
eNCA and eNCA.com are set to give you an even better news experience. From Monday, 1 September, you will see a new-look site on your desktop and mobile browser.
Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane says his government is taking steps to quell unrest after an attempted coup by the country's military on Saturday.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close