JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng MEC of Education Panyaza Lesufi announced on Tuesday that all children who were on the online waiting list have been successfully placed in schools around the province.
“Last year there were 58,000 children on the waiting list from the online applications and all of them have been placed,” said Lesufi during a briefing at the Gauteng Legislature.
For the 2016 applications, the last child was only placed at a school in May.
“There were 19,000 new applicants and all of them have been placed. There’s no learner at home who can claim they don’t have a school. It means some learners don’t have chairs. We are waiting for financial year to kick in.”
Lesufi said that there was strain in schools as there was an increase of the number of children per class and some not having tables and chairs.
During the State of the Province Address, Gauteng Premier David Makhura mentioned that MEC Lesufi had to submit a report on the online applications.
“Constitutional Court gave us till end March to conclude changing of 5km radius on the online application.”
“We have had a look at the judgement of the Constitutional Court and we had to be asked to increase the deadline. We need to consult and consider every school. It will be impossible to consult with all schools by end March.”
Lesufi said that the Department and set a 30km radius on the online applications in order to allow children from the townships the opportunity to apply for schools in suburbs and not only Soweto.
The MEC also revealed that 13 new bricks and mortar schools would be opened in the province to alleviate the pressure that schools were facing.
“Soshanguve will be the first area to have a new school opened this coming Sunday,” said Lesufi.
“Specialisation school will be opened to allow skills growth for learners who might not want to go to university.”
Lesufi added that 2,300 grade 11 classes had been converted to smart classes.
African News Agency