Benoni mine rescue mission underway

South Africa
Benoni, Gauteng – Two more miners have been rescued from an abandoned mine shaft in Benoni. Emergency operations are said to probably continue into the late hours of Sunday night. eNCA
Benoni, Gauteng – Dozens of illegal miners have been trapped in an abandoned shaft in Benoni for several hours. Apparently a second group of miners had stolen their findings and then trapped them in the shaft. eNCA
Benoni, Gauteng - Dozens of illegal miners are still trapped underground in Benoni. Paramedics are at the scene. Authorities say rescue operations can be expected to continue into the night. eNCA

JOHANNESBURG - Emergency rescue workers on Sunday afternoon freed eleven illegal miners who were trapped in an abandoned mine in Benoni, east of Joburg.

About 19 others were said to have refused to be rescued.

The miners were discovered earlier on Sunday during an Ekurhuleni Metro Police routine patrol.

An eyewitness told eNCA that a rival group of miners pushed boulders over a shaft after robbing the trapped miners.

There were conflicting reports about the number of people trapped underground, but Emergency Medical Services spokesperson Rogers Mamaila said his team could confirm that only 30 miners were trapped.

“The issue of 200/300 and the 30 number. We know of the 30 confirmed. The issue 200/300 it is not true up to so far. However because of we are dealing with illegal mining anything is possible. We’ll not rule it out, but we’re thinking as rescuers it’s not possible,” said Mamaila.

No fatalities or injuries were reported.

Rescue operations were expected to continue into the night. 

-eNCA

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

A handful of patients have been given an experimental drug to treat the virus and the drug was found to have cured some monkeys during a lab test.
Sex workers in Cape Town have paid tribute to some of their colleagues who’ve been murdered over the past year.
Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova was knocked out of the US Open by Serbian world number 145 Aleksandra Krunic in the latest first week shock.

TOP STORIES view all

eNCA and eNCA.com are set to give you an even better news experience. From Monday, 1 September, you will see a new-look site on your desktop and mobile browser.
The Department of International Relations (Dirco) has warned those leading a coup attempt in Lesotho that Dirco "will not tolerate unconstitutional changes of government".
After a formal complaint by the minister of women affairs, eNCA has retracted a statement suggesting Susan Shabangu called Cyril Ramaphosa a liar.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close