Conflicting reports cast shadow of doubt over health of Mandela

South Africa
File: Nelson Mandela spent almost three months in a Pretoria hospital earlier this year after being admitted with a recurring lung infection. eNCA

Former President Nelson Mandela’s family is giving conflicting reports about the former statesman’s health.

Last night his granddaughter, Swati Dlamini told eNCA that the elderly statesman is doing well.

But grandson Ndaba described Madiba’s condition as somber.

His eldest daughter Makaziwe, however made reference to the statesman being "on his death bed".

She told the SABC that - quote- "Tata is still with us. Very strong, as I said very courageous"- unquote.

Mandela spent almost three months in a Pretoria hospital earlier this year after being admitted with a recurring lung infection.

Last month the Presidency described Madiba's condition as being critical but stable after President Jacob Zuma paid him a visit at his Houghton home.

When contacted by eNCA this morning, the president's spokesman Mac Maharaj said he cannot comment on what family members are saying - only on what he's been told by doctors.

"He's ok. I actually saw him today so he's doing well and we you know as a family we thank the country and we thank the international community for their continued prayers and their support," said Dlamini.

-eNCA

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

German carmaker Volkswagen is aiming for double-digit growth in China, the group's CEO said on Saturday.
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and other religious leaders led a protest to parliament on Saturday to speak out against poor leadership.
South Sudan's army said on Saturday they had "lost communication" with commanders battling rebels in a key oil state where rebels have seized a major town.

TOP STORIES view all

As another body is found, authorities have ruled out hope of finding any more survivors from the deadliest accident on Mount Everest.
The Democratic Alliance's "Ayisafani" [It's not the same] election TV advert -- originally pulled off the air by the SABC -- had garnered nearly half a million views on Youtube.
The arrested captain of the South Korean ferry that capsized three days ago with 476 people on board defended his decision to delay its evacuation.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close