Cosatu go-slow is a no-go

South Africa
Cosatu has cancelled its planned march against e-tolls on major Gauteng routes today. Picture: eNCA

Cosatu cancelled its planned march against e-tolls on major Gauteng routes at a late time on Friday.

The march was to begin in Braamfontein, join the M1 North, take the Olifantsfontein offramp onto the M1 south and then take the Roodepoort off-ramp onto the N1 south until the Nasrec interchange and join the N12 and then the M2 back on the M1 onto Smit Street.

Several organisations including the United Taxi Forum, Bikers Against Etolls, South African Council of Churches and the Treatment Action Campaign, earlier this week, announced they would be joining the march the against the province’s e-tolling system.

Yesterday the Johannesburg Metro Police Department denied organisers persmission to march saying the union had defied road regulations during their last march.

Cosatu now says their planned Ekhuruleni march on May 31 will go ahead.

They plan to gather near the Hatfield Stadium and they will join Heidelberg Road onto the N3 North. Marchers will then join the N12 South and move to the N3 South back on Heidelberg Road.
 
The union federation is also planning a stayaway on June 10. 
 
Cosatu and its backers are calling for the controversial system to be scrapped but government says it will go ahead with the roll out as early as next month.
-eNCA

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

E.TV has been fined R10,000 for airing adult material before 8pm, while kykNET has been fined R30,000 for a programme mimicking people suffering from Tourette's Syndrome.
The Limpopo government is convinced it won't be placed under administration again.
Three family members in Witbank died of carbon monoxide poisoning, allegedly caused by their heater, Mpumalanga police said on Tuesday.

TOP STORIES view all

ANC leaders have told party members of Parliament to lay off the Economic Freedom Fighters in Parliament.
South Africa have added more gold on day five of the Commonwealth Games with medals from Cameron van der Burgh, Chad le Clos and the SA men's bowls team.
President Jacob Zuma and his entire executive have until August 15 to declare their private business interests to Parliament.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close