Over 1,000 displaced Marlboro residents to be relocated

Acting MMC Public Safety Mpho Phalatse at the scene of the fire on Saturday, 15 July 2017 Photo: Twitter/@CoJPublicSafety

JOHANNESBURG - More than a thousand people, who were displaced after a fire in an informal settlement in Marlboro in northern Johannesburg, will be temporarily relocated by the City of Johannesburg.

The City also pledged to assist with the burial arrangements of a child who died from smoke inhalation on Saturday. 

READ: Child dies, thousands homeless after Sandton fire

Johannesburg Emergency Management Services said that more than 120 shacks that had been erected inside a building were gutted.

Acting MMC Public Safety Mpho Phalatse and ward councillor Deborah Francisco visited the site of the fire to assess the damage and liaised with community members.

Phalatse said the City will make sure that basic services are provided at the temporary shelter and relief will be offered to the displaced people.

The Gauteng Department of Social Development will conduct assessments to establish the needs of the affected residents.

The cause of the fire is not known. 

eNCA

Discussion Policy

eNCA.com would like to send you push notifications.
Notifications can be turned off any time in your browser settings.
You have been registered for browser notifications