JOHANNESBURG – The lawyer for former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng said he was unaware that his client had been found guilty during a disciplinary hearing on Monday morning.
The SABC is reporting that Motsoeneng was found guilty of all charges against him on Monday.
This was formally announced at a press conference on Monday afternoon.
Zola Majavu expressed shock at the decision and said they haven’t seen a copy of the disciplinary report.
Motsoeneng appeared before the hearing in Sandton on Friday over an unsanctioned news conference he held in April.
The broadcaster said the briefing was in direct contravention of the terms of his suspension and was a dismissable offence.
Chairperson of the hearing, Nazeem Cassim, reportedly found the news conference led to an irretrievable breakdown in the relationship between Motsoeneng and the SABC.
Majavu had argued that Motsoeneng did not breach his employment contract by addressing the media conference, as he was speaking in his personal capacity.
In February, the Western Cape High Court dismissed the SABC’s application for leave to appeal against the court's previous order, that Motsoeneng should not be allowed to occupy any position at the public broadcaster.
This after his appointment was found to be invalid and unlawful, following the Public Protector's damning 2014 report on governance at the SABC.
Last month, the broadcaster’s interim board withdrew a decision to take the report on review.