Killer driver granted bail

South Africa
The accused, who killed five people when his car crashed into 12 pedestrians in Ledig was granted R10,000 bail. Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG - A lawyer accused of killing five people when his car crashed into 12 pedestrians in Ledig, North West, will return to court on 6 June, police said on Tuesday.

Brigadier Thulani Ngubane said Mandla Gumbi was granted R10,000 bail when he appeared in the Mogwase Magistrate's Court last Tuesday.

The 34-year-old lawyer was alleged to have been drunk when he ploughed into the group last Monday.

Simon Mmope from the department of human settlements and public safety said the victims, aged between 21 and 30, were certified dead on the scene.

Gumbi was charged with culpable homicide and drunken driving.

 

-Sapa

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

eNCA and eNCA.com are set to give you an even better news experience. From Monday, 1 September, you will see a new-look site on your desktop and mobile browser.
Sri Lanka clinched the one-day international series against Pakistan after their bowlers, led by Thisara Perera, routed the tourists to secure a seven-wicket victory.
An Egyptian court sentenced Mohamed Badie, general guide of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, and seven others to life in prison for inciting violence during protests last year.

TOP STORIES view all

Hundreds of Christians have taken to the streets of Durban, to call on world and religious leaders to take a stand against the brutal killings of Christians in Iraq.
Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane says his government is taking steps to quell unrest after an attempted coup by the country's military on Saturday.
Military units in Lesotho surrounded government and police buildings and gunfire was heard in what diplomats said appeared to be an attempted coup.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close