Oscar trial to be televised in part

South Africa
Johannesburg - Judge Dunstan Mlambo has ruled that the Oscar Pistorius trial may be broadcast -- but with strict conditions. Cameras must be unobtrusive, with no close-ups, no flash photography and no artificial light allowed. eNCA
File: The application to broadcast the Oscar Pistorius murder trial was brought by eNCA, MultiChoice and Eyewitness News. Picture: AFP PHOTO / STEPHANE DE SAKUTIN

PRETORIA - The High Court in Pretoria granted media houses permission on Tuesday to televise parts of the murder trial of paralympian Oscar Pistorius.

Judge Dunstan Mlambo said hi-tech broadcast equipment could be installed in the courtroom where Pistorius was set to go on trial next week for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

"The applicants' authorised representatives are permitted to set up equipment in accordance with the specifications that I mention [in the judgment] to obtain a video and audio recording and or transmission of the permitted portions as indicated in this order.

"The technical equipment shall comply with the following specifications: three cameras shall be installed in the courtroom at least 72 hours before the trial commences. The cameras shall be installed in locations which are unobtrusive," Mlambo read from his judgment.

No camera personnel would be allowed in the courtroom, controlling the equipment during the trial. This, he said, was to avoid disrupting court proceedings.

"The equipment is not permitted to record any confidential communication between legal representatives, between clients and their representatives, or any bench discussions between the judge and assessors that may be appointed.

"The presiding judge shall specifically direct when recording should start and when it should stop," said Mlambo.

He ordered that no "movie lights, flash attachments, or artificial lighting devices" were permitted in court.

The athlete's testimony could not be broadcast.

Mlambo said the media houses were allowed to broadcast audio-visual images of sections of the trial, including evidence of all State experts and the evidence of police and former police officers about the crime scene.

Closing arguments by the State and Pistorius's legal team, delivery of the judgment or sentence, if applicable, could also be broadcast.

Mlambo said: "It is... in the public interest that, within allowance limits, the goings on during the trial be covered... to ensure a greater number of people in the community who are unable to attend the proceedings are able to follow wherever they may be."
The application to film the proceedings was brought by news channel eNCA, joined by media houses MultiChoice and Eyewitness News.

Last week Frank Snyckers SC, for MultiChoice and Eyewitness News, told the court that media would use technologically advanced equipment that was unobtrusive and controlled remotely. Snyckers said media houses had secured the National Prosecuting Authority's support for doing so.

Pistorius's legal team opposed the application arguing that broadcasting the events would lead to an unfair trial. Barry Roux, SC, for Pistorius, asked why his client's trial was not being treated like any other.

Pistorius is accused of killing Steenkamp, his girlfriend, on February 14 last year. His trial is to be heard in the High Court in Pretoria from March 3 to 20.

A 24-hour TV channel dedicated to the trial will begin broadcasting on DSTV on March 2.

* This report has been updated with details of the ruling.
 

-Sapa

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Scoreboard at lunch on the first day of the second and final Test between Sri Lanka and South Africa at the SSC ground in Colombo on Thursday:
Watch live as eNCA.com takes you to the Seriti Commission of Inquiry where initial whistle-blower regarding the arms deal, Patricia de Lille, is expected to testify.
While the world heralds the technology that is 3D printing, there is a downside to be discussed. eNCA explores both sides of the 3D printing revolution.

TOP STORIES view all

A father from Springs on the East Rand accused of abusing his wife and five children and holding them captive will re-apply for bail, The Star reported on Thursday.
Lonmin security superintendent Dewalt Louw is expected to continue giving evidence at the Farlam Commission of Inquiry's public hearings in Pretoria on Thursday.
The US national aviation authority has lifted a ban on American flights to Israel, but has warned of a "very fluid situation."

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close