Nearly 300,000 bucket toilets still used everyday

South Africa
Some 272,995 bucket toilet systems are still being operated by municipalities, Co-operative Governance Minister Richard Baloyi has said. Picture:

Johannesburg - Some 272,995 bucket toilet systems are still being operated by municipalities, Co-operative Governance Minister Richard Baloyi said on Thursday.

"There was a time I thought the bucket system was gone... that it had exited our space, but this number came out when we were assessing the state of sanitation," Baloyi said in Kempton Park.

He was speaking at a conference on municipal audit outcomes, attended by mayors, municipal managers, heads of provincial departments, and Auditor-General Terence Nombembe.

Baloyi did not say which municipalities still operated the bucket system.

He said a breakdown of provinces showed that the system had even been formalised in some areas, and that there were areas where there was not even a record of a toilet in a community.

"That state of affairs indicates that people in those communities still use the nearest bushes to relieve themselves," Baloyi said.

"This is the true state of the lack of sanitation in some parts of our country."

Earlier, Baloyi said his department would soon release a report on the state of municipalities.

"It is imperative that the report indicates and shows what is being done to address sanitation issues, such as the bucket system," he said.

-Sapa

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Dutch lead investigators into the shooting down over Ukraine of flight MH17 said Wednesday that data from the cockpit voice recorder was intact and had not been tampered with.
The foreman on the Tongaat Mall building site has blamed the mall’s designer for the partial collapse of the structure.
Five suspects are on the run after shooting two police constables who approached them while patrolling Dawn Park township.

TOP STORIES view all

The bodies of the first victims from a Malaysian airliner shot down over Ukraine last week arrived back in the Netherlands on Wednesday amid dignified grief tinged with anger.
A suicide bomb on Wednesday in the northern Nigeria city of Kaduna killed at least 25 people, police said.
The charges were laid after members of the EFF stormed the Gauteng Legislature on Tuesday and damaged property.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close