JOHANNESBURG - Oscar Pistorius will be released from jail next week after serving almost exactly a year behind bars.
This afternoon the Kgosi Mampuru parole board signed off on Pistorius’s probation.
It was blocked two months ago by the Correctional Services Minister on the grounds it had been prematurely granted.
Pistorius will spend the remainder of his five-year culpable homicide sentence under house arrest.
Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha’s spokesperson said he has no intention of becoming further involved in the Pistorius parole saga – and that means there's nothing standing in the way of the Paralympian going home on Tuesday, 20 October.
Just 15 days after his release, however, Pistorius’s lawyers will be going to the Appeals Court in Bloemfontein, to fight the state’s bid to see him convicted of murder.
Pistorius’s planned release in August was signed off on 5 June – a date that Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha regarded as premature.
He blocked that release, and referred Pistorius’s case to the parole review board. The board agreed with the minister and sent the case back to the original parole board.
Now it's ruled the Paralympian be released, but that he face restrictions in terms of his firearm ownership.
Manelisi Wolela, Correctional Services spokesperson says, "As a principle we don't discuss the conditions that are placed on offenders when they are placed on correctional supervision or parole. The general conditions will apply. The parole review board had directed that two additional conditions should be done. One is the application of the firearms control act and that he must continue with psychotherapy treatment. Those two have been added to the normal conditions that are given to the offender."
Reeva Steenkamp’s parents aren't surprised. They say, whether Pistorius is released or not, their daughter isn't coming back.