Bishops want word on Secrecy Bill

South Africa
File: Demonstrators protest against the passing of the Protection of Information Bill outside parliament in Cape Town, November 22, 2011. Picture:

CAPE TOWN - The Southern African Catholics Bishops' Conference (SACBC) has joined calls for President Jacob Zuma to refer the controversial Protection of State Information Bill to the Constitutional Court.

While there had been dramatic changes to the bill, it remained an "unsatisfactory piece of legislation", Catholic Archbishop of Cape Town Stephen Brislin said on Friday.

"It lacks a full public interest defence and will thus make the fight against corruption more difficult," he said.

"To fight corruption we need more openness, not more secrecy."

The SACBC wanted Zuma to send the bill to the Constitutional Court to avoid a protracted and costly court battle.

"On the eve of the celebration of Freedom Day, there is an opportunity for President Zuma to subject this bill to the Constitutional Court for further deliberation and so to protect the democracy which we all cherish," said Breslin.

Opposition parties and civil society organisations have indicated they intend launching a legal challenge should Zuma sign the contentious bill into law.

Parliament passed the proposed law on Thursday, after three years of debate and redrafting.

It adopted the bill by 189 votes to 74, with one abstention.

-Sapa

COMMENTS



LATEST STORIES

Libyan rebels fired rockets on Tripoli’s affluent residential area killing three people on Tuesday.
A number of shops owned by foreigners in Daveyton have been looted, Ekurhuleni metro police said on Wednesday.
Legendary South African writer Nat Nakasa is finally home. His remains were repatriated, almost 50 years after he was buried in New York.

TOP STORIES view all

A standard court hearing turned into a crime scene on Tuesday morning when two suspects fired shots at officials and managed to escape in a police car.
The owners of a house under construction have promised to cooperate with any investigations, after it emerged that the development plans had not been submitted for approval.
A 42-year-old man will appear in the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Wednesday in connection with the stabbing of a woman in Bryanston. The woman later died in hospital.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close