Bus strike violence fears

South Africa
The Transport and Allied Workers' Union is appealing for protection for its members as the bus drivers’ strike continues on Monday. Tawusa says it's not taking part in the industrial action, which has left thousands of commuters stranded. eNCA

Johannesburg - The Transport and Allied Workers' Union of South Africa (Tawusa) is appealing for protection for its members as the bus drivers’ strike continues.

Tawusa said it was not taking part in the industrial action, which left thousands of commuters stranded, today.

“We ask the company, especially Putco, to give our members protection because we understand that the strike itself is dangerous if our members are out there driving those buses," said Tawusa spokesman Madi Ngeukana.

The union said it was worried about the safety of approximately 15,000 members.

“They can be shot. So we say to those companies, please protect our members,”

Striking workers were demanding an 18% wage increase, but employees put a two and 6.5% on the table.

The national wage strike started on April 19.

Chief executive of the Commuter Bus Employers Organisation Barry Gie previously said workers were also demanding a minimum wage of R6,000 a month across the industry, a R1,000 housing allowance and an increase in medical aid contributions.

-eNCA

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

An identity parade is due to take place today in an attempt to find the hijackers and killers of Reiger Park four-year-old boy, Taegrin Morris.
Britain's Prince George was to celebrate his first birthday on Tuesday with a party fit for a future king as his parents thanked well-wishers the world over for their support.
The SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) will heed Transport Minister Dipuo Peters' call for the prosecution of non-paying e-toll users to be halted for now.

TOP STORIES view all

Police are yet to make any arrests in connection with the killing of four-year-old Taegrin Morris, as angry Reiger Park residents demand action.
Amplats workers react with shock to news the mining giant is selling five of its mines.
The Free State health department will investigate the dumping of medication and consumables at the Pelonomi hospital, the department said on Monday.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close