Two civilians dead in attack at Egyptian checkpoint

AL-ARISH - Two back-to-back attacks Wednesday on a security checkpoint in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula left two civilians dead and six people injured, a security official said.

The assaults were carried out by gunmen in the area of Sadr al-Hetan in central Sinai, the official said on condition of anonymity.

Those injured were three policemen and three civilians.

The civilian victims were driving in the area when the assaults occurred, the official said.

The violence was the latest in a series of attacks targeting military and security personnel in the desert peninsula since the army ousted Islamist president Mohammed Morsi last week.

Egypt's first democratically elected president was forced from office after protests by millions of Egyptians who demanded his resignation.

- Sapa

SECTIONS Top Stories South Africa Africa World Money Sport Life Technology Opinion
SHOWS Africa 360 Against All Odds CheckPoint Chester Missing Earth Watch eNCA Afrikaans eNCA isiZulu Late Nite News Maggs on Media Tech Report The Justice Factor Winners and Losers
ABOUT About Contact Work with us News Team Privacy Policy Press Releases Licensing Discussions Policy Advertise on eNCA.com
WATCH US ON Livestation DSTV 403 e.tv africa Sky eNews Prime Time eNuus Kyknet
FOLLOW US ON Youtube