Israeli settler beaten to death

World
Jewish settlers from the settlements of Gush Etzion and Kiryat Arba wave Israeli flags as they gather on Route 60, mainly used by settlers, near the Palestinian village of Al-Khader in the occupied West Bank on May 24, 2013. Picture: AFP PHOTO/AHMAD GHARABLI

JERUSALEM - An Israeli man was beaten to death and a woman injured in an apparent militant attack by Palestinians at their West Bank settlement home, police said early Friday.

"They were beaten with blunt instruments," at the settlement of Brosh, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said, adding that the assumption was "definitely" of a militant attack.

The army said that roadblocks had been set up in the area of the attack, in the northern Jordan valley and security forces were searching for the perpetrators.

Israeli public radio said that the couple were in their home at night when they heard a noise outside and the sound of dogs barking.

The man went outside to investigate and was attacked with iron bars. The woman was also beaten but escaped and raised the alarm.

News site Ynet cited the woman as saying that the attackers were two Palestinians.

The incident occurred less than a week after a nine-year-old Israeli girl was stabbed as she played in her garden in the West Bank settlement of Psagot, near Ramallah.

Police are treating that attack, on Saturday, as a militant action and are still searching for the perpetrator.

Last month an Israeli soldier was shot dead in the southern West Bank city of Hebron, in what the army believes was a Palestinian sniper attack, although no suspects have been arrested.

-AFP

COMMENTS

     

LATEST STORIES

Over 500 racism-related cases have been reported to the SA Human Rights Commission in the past year.
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he told former team-mate Luis Suarez he was "too good" to join Arsenal when the north London club came calling for him last year.
Business has returned to normal at the Southern Centre Mall in Bloemfontein after staff and customers were evacuated following a bomb threat on Thursday morning.

TOP STORIES view all

Former head of the NPA's Integrity Management Unit lays bare the 'Zuma camp' and the 'Zille camp'.
Former officials at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission say it’s time to release former Apartheid-era assassin Eugene de Kock on parole.
The High Court in Pretoria reserved judgment in an application by two Transnet pensioners to sanction the institution of a R80-billion class action against the parastatal.

NEWS STREAMcloseview all

This is the overlay

eNCA Subscriptions

Close