Luxury LA mansions threatened as fierce California wildfires rage

California motorists commuted past a blazing inferno on Wednesday as wind-whipped wildfires raged across the Los Angeles region. Photo: AFP / Mark Ralston

LOS ANGELES - An inferno engulfed the Los Angeles region Wednesday, forcing more than 200,000 people to flee and threatening thousands of homes, including mansions in the luxurious Bel-Air neighbourhood.

Authorities issued a "purple" alert -- never used before -- because of the extreme danger including winds that could reach 128 kilometres an hour, severely limiting firefighting efforts.

The flames have swallowed about 32,000 hectares in just over a day since the "Thomas" fire, currently the state's largest, broke out, leaving at least one dead in an area about 45 minutes from downtown LA.

High winds caused another wave of wildfires to erupt overnight Tuesday, including one in Los Angeles' affluent Bel-Air neighbourhood.

The area battled gridlocked traffic as residents fled ash and smoke that churned over the smouldering hillside in the United States' second-largest city.

Fire crews worked to save luxury homes threatened by the flames.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said more than 230,000 people had been forced from their homes in Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

"Very strong winds" blowing from the northeast to the southwest were causing the fire to balloon, he said, warning Angelenos to be ready to flee at a moment's notice.

In Bel-Air, that's exactly what they did.

The "Skirball" fire ignited before 5am and quickly grew to engulf about 150 acres around the district, home to celebrities and billionaires including SpaceX CEO Elon Musk and pop superstar Beyonce.

Forecasters predicted that winds could cause fires to spread further, threatening more upscale homes and the acclaimed Getty Center museum.

The "Skirball" fire -- near a cultural centre of the same name -- also prompted authorities to close the 405 Freeway, a major commuting corridor.

Residents of wealthy LA neighborhoods between Mulholland Drive to the north and Sunset Boulevard to the south were part of the evacuation zone.

At least 4,000 firefighters were deployed across the entire fire zone, including on the scene of the "Rye" blaze -- which had grown to 7,000 acres in the Santa Clarita area -- as well as the "Creek" fire north of downtown Los Angeles that had grown to more than 11,000 acres.

California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency over the area on Tuesday.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said it had released funds for relief services.

US President Donald Trump tweeted a message of "thoughts and prayers" to California as it nears the end of its deadliest year ever for wildfires.

AFP

Discussion Policy

eNCA.com would like to send you push notifications.
Notifications can be turned off any time in your browser settings.
You have been registered for browser notifications