Malian security forces take position near the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako on November 20, 2015. Gunmen went on a shooting rampage at the hotel, seizing 170 guests and staff
BAMAKO - Nigerian entrepreneur and Africa&39;s richest man, cement king Aliko Dangote, says he left Mali a day before a terrorist attack on the Radisson Blu hotel in the capital Bamako in which at least three people died on Friday.
Dangote issue a statement via his Twitter account after speculation that he was among 170 guest and staff taken hostage.
Rumour about me being held hostage is false. I was in Mali yesterday.Thank you for your concern. My prayers with those involved.— Aliko Dangote (@AlikoDangote) November 20, 2015
Gunmen shouting Islamic slogans attacked the hotel on Friday morning, a senior security source and the hotel&39;s operator said.
Up to 20 hostages were later released, reportedly after some were able to recite verses from the Koran.
Malian troops take position outside the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako on November 20, 2015. AFP PHOTO / SEBASTIEN RIEUSSEC
The raid on the Radisson Blu hotel, which lies just west of the city centre near government ministries and diplomatic offices in the former French colony, comes a week after Islamic State (IS) militants killed 129 people in Paris.
The identity of the Bamako gunmen, or the group to which they belong, is not known.
Northern Mali was occupied by Islamist fighters, some with links to al Qaeda, for most of 2012. Although they were driven out by a French-led military operation, sporadic violence has continued.
The security source said as many as 10 gunmen had stormed the building, firing shots and shouting "Allahu Akbar", or "God is great" in Arabic.
The Chinese state news agency Xinhua said several Chinese tourists were among those trapped inside the building.
The company that runs the hotel, Rezidor Group, said it understood that there were two gunmen.
"According to our information, two people are holding 140 clients and 30 employees," it said in a statement quoted by the BBC.
Security forces drive an armoured vehicle near the Radisson hotel in Bamako, Mali, November 20, 2015. REUTERS/Adama Diarra
A senior member of the hotel&39;s security detail said two private security guards had been injured in the early stages of the attack, which began at 7 a.m. (0700 GMT).
Witnesses in the area said police had surrounded the hotel and were blocking roads leading into the neighbourhood.
The U.S. Embassy tweeted that it was "aware of an ongoing active shooter operation at the Radisson Hotel," and instructed its citizens to stay indoors.
An Islamist group claimed responsibility for the death of five people last March in an attack on a restaurant in Bamako that is popular with foreigners. (Reporting by Tiemoko Diallo; Writing by Joe Bavier and Ed Cropley; Editing by Kevin Liffey)