UN warns that South Sudan faces new famine

File: Refugee children from South Sudan in Bidibidi resettlement camp in the Northern District of Yumbe on April 14, 2017. The country's population country’s population once again faces extreme hunger amid civil war and famine. Photo: Isaac Kasamani / AFP

JOHANNESBURG - One year after South Sudan briefly declared a famine, more than half of the country’s population face extreme hunger amid civil war and famine could return, according to a new report by the South Sudan government and the UN.

Without humanitarian aid the lives of more than six million people, up from about 40 percent from a year ago, remain at risk says the report released on Monday.

READ: UN says South Sudan kills, beats, arrests journalists

Approximately 150,000 people in 11 counties, including Jonglei, Upper Nile, Unity and Western Bahr El Ghazal states could face famine this year, the report warned. 

Since the world’s newest country descended into civil war in 2013 tens of thousands have been killed and more than two million have fled creating Africa’s largest humanitarian crisis.

Last year famine was declared in two counties with 100,000 people facing starvation.

READ: Fresh talks on S. Sudan crisis begin

However, urgent intervention by the international community and aid agencies averted the crisis and the famine warning was lifted in June.

African News Agency

Discussion Policy

eNCA.com would like to send you push notifications.
Notifications can be turned off any time in your browser settings.
You have been registered for browser notifications