LOS ANGELES - The Beverly Hills Police Department said Tuesday it is investigating "multiple complaints" against disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein and director James Toback, who face numerous allegations of unwanted sexual encounters.
Accounts of abuse by Weinstein that were published last month in The New York Times and The New Yorker encouraged others to speak out, unleashing a cascade of allegations of sexual harassment and assault against leading figures in Hollywood and elsewhere.
The police department's statement, which was titled "Recently Reported Assaults," did not provide details about the complaints and said that no additional information would be released at this time.
More than 50 women including stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Mira Sorvino have accused 65-year-old Weinstein of sexual abuse and harassment, although he denies forcing himself on anyone.
The Los Angeles Times interviewed 38 women who accused Toback of unwanted sexual encounters, and the paper said it was inundated with emails and phone calls from more than 200 additional women after the publication of its story.
Like Weinstein, Toback has also denied the allegations.