JOHANNESBURG - The winner of the biggest PowerBall jackpot of R145-million said on Tuesday that he was still in shock and disbelief following his multi-million rand windfall that has turned his life upside down.
The winner came forward to claim his riches on Tuesday and spent almost the whole day at the offices of national lottery operator, Ithuba Holdings, in Johannesburg.
Ithuba needed to make sure that it verifies the winning ticket as well as the winner, before putting him through a financial advisory and counselling programme.
Here are five things you need to know about South Africa's newest multi-millionaire.
1. The winner is a black South African male. He is 34 years old and was born and raised in Ekurhuleni.
2. He works as an engineer for one of the biggest companies in Secunda, Mpumalanga. He struggled to find employment before he got a job in Secunda.
3. The winner is married to his 30-year-old high school sweetheart and they have no children. The wife was born in KwaZulu-Natal. They have been together for 16 years. They plan to have three children.
4. He spent only R20 on his winning ticket which he bought at bought at Evander Dienstasie in Evander, Mpumalanga. He selected his own numbers which he had played on Tuesday's PowerBall for R5 but did not win. He also played a R30 QuickPick together with winning numbers.
5. The winner has been playing the lottery since he was in high school [Disclaimer: You must be 18 years old and above to play the lottery]. He has always played manually at national lottery outlets and does not want to lay online. He has never won any substantial amount more than a few hundred rands until Friday.
The winner said he plans to invest his winnings in business, investments and helping to uplift members of his family to earn an income through their own initiatives.
The winning numbers were 1, 15, 23, 24, 35 and Powerball 4.