Snapchat removes Trump account from curated promotional section

File: US President Donald Trump's Snapchat account will remain public and accessible to people who follow it or search for it, Snap said.

File: US President Donald Trump's Snapchat account will remain public and accessible to people who follow it or search for it, Snap said.

Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO - Snap Inc said it would no longer promote US President Donald Trump's account in Snapchat's Discover section, saying his incendiary comments last week made the account ineligible for the curated section where users explore new content.

"We will not amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice by giving them free promotion on Discover," the company said in a statement.

"Racial violence and injustice have no place in our society and we stand together with all who seek peace, love, equality, and justice in America."

READ: Twitter flags Trump tweet on Minneapolis as 'glorifying violence'

Trump's Snapchat account, which consists mostly of campaign content and does not contain the informal rhetoric he regularly uses on his favoured platform Twitter, will remain public and accessible to people who follow it or search for it, Snap said.

In a statement, Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale accused Snap of trying to rig the election by promoting Biden while suppressing Trump's content. He said Snap promoted "extreme left riot videos" and encouraged users to "destroy America".

Snap said the Discover section features voices across the political spectrum, including both Republicans and Democrats.

READ: Zuckerberg backs Facebook Trump policy despite anger: reports

Twitter ignited a furore last week by placing labels on several of Trump's tweets that it said violated its rules on misleading information and glorifying violence, including one which used the racially charged phrase "when the looting starts, the shooting starts."

Facebook declined to take any action on the same posts, prompting an employee protest on Monday.

The company said its decision to remove the president's content from Discover was made over the weekend.

Source
Reuters