Trump says US won't pay Harry and Meghan's security

File: Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Britain's Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

File: Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Britain's Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

AFP

WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump said the United States would not pay security costs for Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, appearing to confirm that the royal couple have moved to live in California.

They reportedly flew by private jet from Canada to Los Angeles before the border between the two countries closed because of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

The couple, who had been living in Canada for several months, rocked the royal family earlier this year with their decision to no longer represent the British monarchy and to pursue a new, independent life.

READ: Canada to stop providing security for Harry and Meghan

"I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom," Trump tweeted.

"It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the US however, the US will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!"

But a spokeswoman for the pair later released a statement saying they had no intention of soliciting help from Washington, media reports said.

IN PICTURES: Harry and Meghan wave royal life goodbye

"Privately funded security arrangements have been made," the statement said, according to the Washington Post.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will formally step back from royal duties on March 31.

Source
AFP