JOHANNESBURG - More than 20,000 people have been arrested in the past two weeks for violating lockdown regulations.
The acting provincial police commissioner, Tommy Mthombeni says their weekly checks have been successful.
"This is part of the second phase of the operation, as I have indicated previously, the second phase is looking at the second-hand goods, integrated with Tracker and members of the SAPS, those who deal with second hand and vehicle crime investigation," he said.
"This operation is indeed a success as we found two motor vehicles that were positively stolen."
Meanwhile, Police Minister Bheki Cele on Wednesday urged South Africans to do the right thing and spare themselves a criminal record.
The minister said he hopes the arrests will stop citizens from breaking the law.
#PoliceMinistry Police Minister, General #BhekiCele has called on South Africans to heed government’s call to adhere to the adjusted #LockdownSA regulations. MLhttps://t.co/OyW5NQTYDb pic.twitter.com/0TmRXboWKj— SA Police Service (@SAPoliceService) January 13, 2021