President Cyril Ramaphosa addressed the nation on Saturday. #DStv403
PRETORIA - President Cyril Ramaphosa announced on Saturday that South Africa will shortly move from Alert Level 3 to Level 2 lockdown.
The president said, "guided by the advice of our health experts and after consultation with provincial and local government, Cabinet has decided to place the entire country on Alert Level 2, with effect from midnight on Monday, the 17th of August 2020."
Alert Level 2 indicates a moderate COVID-19 spread of the virus with a relatively high health system readiness, according to the government's strategic plan.
"Economic activity will be allowed with the necessary and appropriate stringent health protocols and safety precautions in place," Ramaphosa said.
Under Level 2 restrictions:
- All restrictions on inter-provincial travel will be lifted.
- Accommodation, hospitality venues, and tours will be permitted according to approved protocols to ensure social distancing.
- Restaurants, bars, and taverns will be permitted to operate according to approved protocols as to times of operation and numbers of people.
- Restrictions on the sale of tobacco will be lifted.
- The suspension of the sale of alcohol will be lifted subject to certain restrictions.
- Alcohol will be permitted for on-site consumption in licensed establishments only up until 10 pm.
- Liquor outlets will be allowed to sell alcohol for off-site consumption from Monday to Thursday during the hours of 9 am to 5 pm only.
- Restrictions on family and social visits will also be lifted
The president urged South Africans to exercise extreme caution and take adequate measures to prevent the spread of the virus.
Some restrictions remain, including a ban on international travel and the nightly curfew between 10 pm and 4 am.
- Coronavirus Hotline Number: 0800 029 999 from 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
Help protect your loved ones by sharing this official South African government COVID-19 service with your family, friends and community.
Send HI to 0600 123 456 on WhatsApp.
The NICD has another Clinician Hotline to improve #COVID19 communication and support for healthcare providers. The Clinician Hotline is 0800 11 1131, operating 24 hrs. The Public Hotline is 0800 029 999 also operating 24hrs.