JOHANNESBURG - Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba reacted with disappointment to the news his appearance before the Gupta naturalisation committee has been indefinitely postponed.
He said he wasn't given the opportunity to explain his involvement in the saga.
Gigaba said, “I’m quite disappointed because I was ready, I was willing and I still am to ensure that we get to the bottom of all this inquiry. I think all is not lost because the postponement assist the committee to get better prepared.”
The minister came under fire in 2017, when it emerged he personally intervened to help the Guptas with their naturalisation certificates in 2015.
This despite the fact their application had been turned down a few months earlier. One usually has to wait a year to reapply with fresh information.
Gigaba previously defended this, saying there were exceptional circumstances.
The committee heard testimony from a former senior Home Affairs immigrations officer on Thursday saying he sent his CV to the family.
Gideon Christians told MPs he was frustrated and needed a new job.
He's accused of fast-tracking visa services to help staff who came from India to work at the Gupta-owned TV station, ANN7.
Hearings into the Gupta family’s naturalisation continue. Parliament's set aside three days for the inquiry. Among those who will be called to testify are Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba and former Director General, Mkuseli Apleni.