CAPE TOWN - Triple axe-murderer Henri van Breda’s appeal against his conviction and sentence will be heard in the Western Cape High Court on Monday.
In May of this year, Judge Siraj Desai found Van Breda hacked his parents and older brother Rudi to death with an axe at their De Zalze Estate family home in Stellenbosch in 2015.
He was also found guilty of attempting to murder his sister Marli -- who survived the attack but now suffers from amnesia -- and guilty of a charge of obstruction of justice.
Van Breda claimed masked intruders broke into the home and attacked his family with an axe and knife.
No physical evidence was found to indicate anyone else had been inside the house.
According to a social worker, who counselled the triple axe-murderer prior to this conviction and sentence, Van Breda is not guilty.
Arina Smit, a counsellor with the National Institute for Crime Prevention and the Reintegration of Offenders (Nicro) said Van Breda appears to have had a good relationship with his family, particularly with Marli.
"For me, it was really difficult to bring forward any reasons that would say this is possibly what the court could consider, what drove and motivated his behaviour at that point in time," she said.
Smit says there were no warning signs in Van Breda’s childhood.