The devastating floods have left more than 60 people dead and forced more than a thousand from their homes.
DURBAN – The death toll in the KwaZulu-Natal floods has climbed to "about" 70.
IN PICTURES: Floods sweep KZN, parts of EC
KZN acting Premier Sihle Zikalala made the announcement at a media briefing on Thursday morning.
Zikalala indicated that final figures will be released later in the day.
“It is a situation that is worrying,” Zikalala said.
“It is the first time in KwaZulu-Natal that we lose people in this greater number.”
Torrential rains lashed the province earlier this week resulting in damage to housing infrastructure and roads.
Zikalala said government will be preparing assistance for those affected by the floods.
He said assistance will include providing dignified funerals for the deceased and arranging accommodation and clothing for those who have been displaced