KZN flood victims evicted from Transnet building

The plight of those affected by April and May's floods in KwaZulu-Natal is far from over. eNCA Lethiwe Mdluli has more on this story. Courtesy of #DStv403

DURBAN - The plight of those affected by the April floods in KwaZulu-Natal is far from over.

On Monday, those who were illegally occupying a Transnet building in Montclair in the south of Durban were evicted.

READ: KZN flood victims refuse to leave Transnet building 

Thousands of houses were destroyed in the deadly floods, leaving residents homeless and destitute.

One victim of the floods, Xoliswa Nqobo said people were chased out with their belongings.

"Our lawyer arrived and gave them the letter, but they said it was too late.

WATCH: KZN flood victims occupy Durban City Hall

"We had already vacated the building and they organised trucks for us to go back to community halls. What hurt us is that when we got to the hall in Yellow Wood where we previously stayed, we were mistreated.

"They refused to open for us and we ended up sleeping outside. After spending the entire night outside, it took the intervention of the police and Disaster Management team for us to finally be allowed inside at around 2pm," Nqobo said.

"The individuals that shut us out claimed that they didn't feel safe."

Source
eNCA

Paid Content