Motsoaledi defends Home Affairs over Bushiri escape

Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi is tight-lipped on how the Bushiri's managed to escape South Africa. Courtesy #DStv403

JOHANNESBURG - Home Affairs Minister, Aaron Motsoaledi insists his department is not to blame for the Bushiris fleeing the country.

Motsoaledi appeared before a parliamentary committee on Tuesday to explain what his department knows so far.

READ: Motsoaledi grilled in Parliament over Bushiris

He says his department is not to blame for the escape of couple, Shepherd and Mary Bushiri.

"The matter of Bushiri, chairperson, is not solely a matter of Home Affairs, as many people have been saying," Motsoaledi told Parliament's Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs.

"The whole security cluster is also involved in it, which means the Home Affairs department, the Department of Justice, South African Police Services together with their branch, the Hawks, the minister of state security, the minister of defense and the minister of Dirco, all those clusters and ministers are involved in this matter of Bushiri."

The minister says the security cluster will issue a statement at a later stage.

READ: Bushiri couple allegedly snuck through Beit Bridge border post

The couple contravened their bail conditions, fleeing the country after being charged with theft, money-laundering, and fraud.

Last week, the couple was granted bail of R200,000 each.

Source
eNCA

Paid Content