Mozambique death toll expected to rise after cyclone

Cyclone Kenneth has destroyed a village in Mozambique. eNCA's Dasen Thathiah has been tracking that story. Courtesy #DStv403

MAPUTO - The death toll in Mozambique is expected to rise as aid agencies try to reach more areas affected by cyclones.

Cyclone Kenneth struck while Mozambique was still struggling to deal with the impact of Cyclone Idai.

Meanwhile, cholera cases have been confirmed in northern Mozambique following floods caused by a powerful cyclone that battered the country last week, provincial authorities said on Friday.

READ: Rescuers struggle to reach Mozambique cyclone victims

The city of Pemba registered 11 cases of the disease while the neighbouring district of Mecufi had three.

"We were already prepared for that - the health care sector has been on the alert since Cyclone Kenneth started," the provincial health director, Anastacia Lidimo, told reporters.

Cyclone Kenneth made landfall in northern Cabo Delgado province on April 25, packing winds up to 220 kilometres per hour - hitting a region that has not experienced a tropical cyclone in the modern era.

It killed at least 41 people, with some 226,000 affected, destroyed thousands of homes and wrecked water supply systems.

Source
eNCA