A pupil at the Winnie Mandela Secondary School sanitises his hands before entering a classroom as classes resume in the Tembisa township, Ekurhuleni.
JOHANNESBURG - The Council of Education Ministers has made amendments to some grades returning to school.
Minister of the Department of Basic Education Angie Motshekga held a meeting with stakeholders on Thursday.
"After careful consideration of all the reports CEM took a decision that only Grade 6, Grade 11 and Grade R will return to school on Monday, 06th July 2020," the council said in a statement.
Other grades will be phased during the month of July.
“We will adjust the reopening phases based on the risk-adjusted strategy which is a considered attempt to balance our approach to School Reopening taking into account all factors that affect the work we do. We are guided in this by an observation of the rising numbers of community transmissions throughout the country,” said Motshekga.
Reopening of schools: Dates announced for other grades
Before the amendments, these were grades expected back on 6 July, according to government's gazette on reopening of schools:
- Early Childhood Development (ECD);
- Grade 1
- Grade 2
- Grade 3
- Grade 6
- Grade 10
- Grade 11
- School of Skills: Years 2 and 3
- Schools for Learners with Severe Intellectual Disabilities (SID): Grades R, 1, 2, 3 and 6; and
- Special Care Centres for Learners with Severe and Profound Intellectual Disabilities (LSPID): Years 1-3
The last phase of grades is expected back on 3 August
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Grade 8
- Grade 9
- School of Skills: Year 1; and
- Schools for Learners with Severe Intellectual Disabilities (SID): Grades 4 and 5
- Coronavirus Hotline Number: 0800 029 999 from 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
Help protect your loved ones by sharing this official South African government COVID-19 service with your family, friends and community.
Send HI to 0600 123 456 on WhatsApp.
The NICD has another Clinician Hotline to improve #COVID19 communication and support for healthcare providers. The Clinician Hotline is 0800 11 1131, operating 24 hrs. The Public Hotline is 0800 029 999 also operating 24hrs.