JOHANNESBURG - Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu says 3, 429,808 beneficiaries have been paid so far for the R350 Special COVID-19 relief grant.
Government has disbursed over R1.2-billion so far.
Zulu said 7.5-million applications were received. Of that over 4-million have been approved and over 2 million were not approved.
Beneficiaries will be paid from July until October.
“Sassa [South African Social Security Agency] will on a monthly basis reassess all applications to ensure that where circumstances have changed, an income is received from any other source, the grant will not continue,” said Zulu.
“In order to address further exclusion areas, Sassa is implementing a resource mechanism for applicants who have been declined and wish to review the decisions, applicants can review the decisions,” she said.
The grant will also include asylum-seekers.
Zulu apologised for the delays in payments.
She said Sassa was inundated with applications and it experienced technical glitches with the systems.
To qualify one has to be unemployed, have no income and not be receiving any kind of government assistance, such as UIF, NSFAS or any other social grant.
If your application has been declined, you can send an email to [email protected]
- Coronavirus Hotline Number: 0800 029 999 from 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
Help protect your loved ones by sharing this official South African government COVID-19 service with your family, friends and community.
Send HI to 0600 123 456 on WhatsApp.
The NICD has another Clinician Hotline to improve #COVID19 communication and support for healthcare providers. The Clinician Hotline is 0800 11 1131, operating 24 hrs. The Public Hotline is 0800 029 999 also operating 24hrs.