DURBAN - Some parents in Durban have shared their frustrations over the lack of space in schools.
Schools are set to open on Monday, but some are still struggling to find a seat for their children.
Most affected are those heading into Grades 1 and 8.
One parent says he’s been on waiting lists since the beginning of last year.
The KwaZulu-Natal education department says the number of pupils needing placement is too high.
“We have formed what we refer to as a district admission committee, it is chaired by a district director," said spokesperson Kwazi Mshengu.
"We are making a call to all parents to approach the district office and be able to present their case and it will be attended to.
"We need to emphasise that there are schools of need and schools of want, so if as a parent you are not satisfied with the school that has been offered to your child please accept the next available school,” Mshengu said.
The department also warned schools against demanding registration fees from parents, saying it doesn’t have a policy stipulating that.