JOHANNESBURG - Officials are investigating how an electricity pylon fell onto shacks in Alexandra on Tuesday afternoon, sparking a fire which left many families homeless.
Residents in Alexandra township are trying to salvage what they can after several shacks caught fire.
Over 50 shacks were destroyed in the blaze at the informal settlement.
Authorities said no casualties or injuries were reported.
Residents who were affected found shelter in a nearby crèche and church building overnight.
Speaking to eNCA's Zikhona Tshona on Wednesday morning, one woman urged the community to help those who had lost their homes and all their possessions.
City Power turned off electricity in the immediate area, to ensure that the area was safe as residents tried to recover what was left of their homes.