JOHANNESBURG - The World Economic Forum (WEF) says it is unable to confirm that several African leaders are boycotting its meeting in Cape Town over recent violent protests and attacks on foreign nationals.
Reports have emerged that the presidents of the DRC, Malawi and Rwanda will not be heading to the event.
It has also been said that other African nations will also boycott the event due to the recent attacks on African nationals in Gauteng.
The World Economic Forum's Elsie Kanza said she was surprised to hear about reports of boycotting.
"One of the leaders - Rwanda - unfortunately had to cancel his participation last week, before the very unfortunate events [violent protests].
"The World Economic Forum and the South African government teams have been following up on the delegations from the DRC and Malawi, because while they indicated that they would be participating they never completed their registration."
President Cyril Ramaphosa will lead South Africa's delegation, accompanied by his deputy, David Mabuza, Finance Minister Tito Mboweni, Trade and Industry Minister Ebrahim Patel, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan.
More than a thousand regional and global leaders from politics, business, civil society and academia will discuss Africa's way forward.
This year's theme is Shaping Inclusive Growth and Shared Futures in the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
Five people have been killed in violence across Gauteng.
Two people were shot dead in Coronationville on Tuesday. On Monday, a man died after being shot during the chaos in Hillbrow.
Foreign-owned shops have been looted across Gauteng and dozens of people are behind bars.
Foreign nationals are under siege in areas including Kempton Park, Crosby, Turffontein and the Johannesburg CBD.
Police Minister Bheki Cele insists they're doing all they can to put an end to the violence.