Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, Stella Ndabeni Abrahams, will provide an update on the SABC funding allocation.
- Editor's note: This livestream has ended. You may watch the recording above.
JOHANNESBURG - The public broadcaster has been granted a government bailout.
Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams announced on Friday that R2.1-billion of the bailout will be paid to the SABC on Monday.
The public broadcaster is facing a financial crisis and has previously appealed to the government for a bailout.
In July, government approved a bailout estimated at R3.2-billion for the SABC.
Ndabeni-Abrahams, however, said the bailout had conditions.
“Going forward and to ensure compliance with the funding conditions, SABC is expected to present its monthly financial status to the department of communications,” she said.
The remaining R1.1-billion will be paid out when the SABC meets all conditions prescribed by the National Treasury.