CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape had to temporarily close down some of its vaccination sites last week due to the slow arrival of the vaccine.
Premier Alan Winde says more shots are arriving this week, and hopefully, the programme will be back in the full swing of things.
Winde says the province has been preparing since the second wave to make sure it's ready for the next.
"I want to reassure residents that we do have enough resources in place to respond to the increasing number of COVID-19 infections in the province. We are further able to scale up our response where needed," the premier said.
"We have clearly identified trigger points in place to ensure that our healthcare system can identify risks and respond adequately, which have been developed to ensure that we all protect the healthcare system as it is coping with a three-fold commitment – the vaccination programme, attending to COVID-19 cases and maintaining comprehensive health services."
The province outlined their five-point plan to limit the effect of the virus, saying it will focus on changing community behaviours to prevent infection; surveillance and outbreak response; scaling up the health platform’s COVID-19 capacity; maintaining comprehensive services; and safeguarding and protecting the wellbeing of healthcare workers.
#ICYMI The Western Cape Government is prepared to respond to a third wave, but we need your support to flatten the curve & save lives. Let’s continue the golden rules of infection prevention to stay safe and keep moving forward. Read more here: https://t.co/41jGyEQWqx pic.twitter.com/EHAb7Euv5T— Premier Alan Winde (@alanwinde) June 21, 2021