Supporters of former president Jacob Zuma are planning mass action in his defence. They say the recent warrant of arrest issued for him by the court is a clear indication that he's being vilified. Carl Niehaus joins us for more on this. Courtesy #DStv403
JOHANNESBURG - Supporters of former president Jacob Zuma are planning rolling mass action in his defence.
They say the recent warrant of arrest issued for him by the High Court in Pietermaritzburg is a clear indication that he's being vilified.
On Tuesday, ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule said no one will be stopped from supporting Zuma at his corruption trial.
The group's leader Carl Niehaus says they welcome the ANC’s decision not to prevent any of its members from showing support for Zuma.
“I don't think there's is any requirement from the party to officially take a decision that its NEC supports this particular group but overall you have heard the ANC says it is acceptable and that it will not prevent any member of the ANC from expressing that support for President Jacob Zuma.
“You must go back into the history of what happened in the last two and half decades with President Jacob Zuma and the manner in which the allegations against him have been used especially by the NPA together with some other politicians in order to try to vilify President Jacob Zuma and order also to attack the issues that he stands for,” he added.
Niehaus has described Zuma as the father of radical economic transformation and at the heart of pro-poor resolutions of the ANC.
Last week, Zuma was a no show at court citing ill health.
A judge rejected his sick note and issued a warrant for his arrest, which has been stayed until his next court appearance in May.
Niehaus says the warrant of arrest is unnecessary and is being used as a tool to attack Zuma.
“That warrant of arrest is used now in the media to vilify president Zuma, to call him a fugitive of justice and to ridicule him as a former statesman, unacceptable,” he said.