eNCA is once again proud of its journalists who scooped awards at this year’s regional awards of the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Awards and also at the Sanlam’s 2020 Financial Journalist of the Year Awards.
“The backbone of any organization is its employees. It is for this reason that I feel a sense of pride in knowing that our efforts at attracting, nurturing and retaining talent within eNCA are yielding positive returns, as demonstrated with these recent accolades by our team. As a news channel that runs on agility, speed, accuracy and balance, we are delighted that our journalists are recognized for delivering on our brand promise of No Fear No Favour,” says Norman Munzhelele, Managing Director of eNCA.
About the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Awards:
This competition celebrates the profession and its integral part in our daily lives. For two decades, the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Awards have recognised many of the leading lights of South African journalism, those who have contributed to upholding democracy and protecting the right of freedom of expression, so vitally important in our society. The virtual awards announcement was the culmination of a judging process which reviewed more than 1 300 entries received nationally across 12 categories. This year’s theme for the Awards is “Resilience”.
The 2021 categories are: Live reporting/breaking news; Investigative; Opinion; Lifestyle; Features; Photography; Sport; Financial & Economics; Politics; Sustainability, Innovation in Journalism, the Young Journalist of the Year Award and the Lifetime Achiever Award. The winning e-teams that were announced as winners in the various categories, are as follows:
Gauteng Regional Winners from eNCA:
- Live Reporting/Breaking News category: Siphamandla Goge, Bongumusa Mkhize and Nkanyiso Mdlalose
- Young Journalist of the Year Award: Checkpoint’s Jabulile Mbatha
KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga Regional Winners from eNCA:
- Features: Dasen Thathiah, Kwazi Mlanduli, Francois Grobler, Nkanyiso Mdlalose and Susanna Holmes
- Lifestyle: Dasen Thathiah, Nkanyiso Mdlalose, Susanna Holmes, Joe Komane and Sandie Makhubela
- Live Reporting/Breaking News: Dasen Thathiah, Mcebisi Sithole and Nkanyiso Mdlalose
Western Cape Regional Winners from eNCA:
- Lifestyle: Tanya Nefdt, Mario Pedro, Crescendo Louw and Asanda Javu
- Sport: Justin Ford
Congratulations to the eNCA winners in the 2021 Vodacom Journalist of the Year Regional Awards, who will compete for the national honours against their peers in other provinces at the national awards ceremony that will be held on Thursday, 25 November 2021.
We also wish to recognize and congratulate Devi Sankaree Govender and Heidi Giokos who were announced as the first and second runners-up in the Broadcast TV/Video Category, of the recently held Sanlam Financial Journalist of the Year 2020.
- First runner-up: Devi Govender; is the fearless journalist, boasting over 27 years of bold and courageous reporting and the host of The Devi Show which airs on eNCA on Saturdays, at 1:30pm.
- Second runner-up: Heidi Giokos; is an all-round broadcaster, who was also the 2019 Nat Nakasa Award nominee and is an IMF Fellow.
About the Sanlam Financial Journalist of the Year Awards:
Established 46 years ago by Sanlam, the awards recognise exceptional journalism on the African continent. The Sanlam Awards for Excellence in Financial Journalism have been recognising and rewarding exceptional business journalism since 1974. The awards are the premier financial journalism awards in South Africa and have become a prestigious and hotly contested accolade. The two broadcast categories (Audio and Television/Video) are open to African financial journalists based on the continent, covering stories on the Africa Growth Story, reporting through the traditional television medium or on video in other new media (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) platforms.