Flora Recipes | Banana and almond muffins
Join Pitso live at 11am on Thursday, 23rd April to get a step by step video instruction on how to make this recipe.
● 350g of Self-rising Flour
● 1Tsp (5 ml) of Baking Powder
● 85g of Light Soft Brown Sugar
● 85g of Flora Gold
● 1Large Ripe Banana
● 55g Flaked Almonds
● 2Medium Eggs
● 150ml of Natural Low-fat Yoghurt
● 150ml of Low-fat Milk
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix very lightly (mixture does not have to be smooth).
2. Spoon the mixture into 12 muffin tins (lined with paper cases if desired).
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C, 180°C convection oven, for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Best served warm with lashings of Flora margarine.
Pitso Chauke is a Cape Town Based restauranteur and an entrepreneur at heart. He is originally from Limpopo is a small town known as Malamulele.
Having grown from a family which is female dominant, Pitso was spoiled by his siblings. His mother, sisters would cook for everyone. Culturally No man would cook for females.
That changed when he moved to Durban to study Marketing. He had to cook for himself now that he was not in the presence of his family. He never took notes and that made him start from scratch. He had to start with cooking pilchard tinned fish. Unbeknown to him that his interest of cooking had just begun.
2009 he went to Cape Town to look for a job and got a job at the South African Police services. He worked as a detective for almost ten years. His passion for cooking never died so when he learnt that African cuisine was neglected in Cape Town, He started what is known now as Pitsoskitchen.
A restaurant, a market stall, a brand and a story that brought pride to African cuisine.