ANCs silence on Multichoice ANN7 decision unacceptable: MKMVA

Photo_Web_ANC_Colours_181217

File: The ANC faces a perilous future.

File: The ANC faces a perilous future.

Photo_Web_ANC_Colours_181217

File: The ANC faces a perilous future.

File: The ANC faces a perilous future.

JOHANNESBURG – The Umkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) said the ANC’s silence on Multichoice’s decision not to renew ANN7’s contract to broadcast on its platform was “unacceptable”.

In a statement released on Sunday, the MKMVA said it has “deliberately held back to speak out immediately.”

“This was not because we are not deeply concerned – and in fact outraged – by MultiChoice’s actions, but because we felt it was important that ANC as our mother-body should have taken the lead with an official statement defending the rights of freedom of speech and the right to an expression of a diversity of views,” it said.

READ: Sanef wants to know why ANN7 is being dropped from DStv

It said only the party’s Deputy Secretary General Jessie Duarte has raised concerns over Multichoice’s decision.

“Unacceptable as the official silence, up to now, from our mother mody is, we want to express our sincere hope that this is an unfortunate oversight and that the ANC will still come out with a clear and unequivocal statement, and will lead a united revolutionary force in defense of freedom of expression,” the MKMVA said.

Multichoice announced last week that it would not renew ANN7’s contract when it comes to an end in August.

READ: &39;Monopolistic&39; Multichoice slammed for ANN7 move

The move followed allegations that Multichoice paid millions of rands as an "advance payment" to the Guptas to influence government policy on the long-delayed digital migration.

Multichoice has since denied the allegations.

MKMVA called on Multichoice to rescind its decision and if MultiChoice does not do so, “we will mobilise our members and all sectors of society to revolt against MultiChoice.”

“Such mobilisation should also include the careful consideration of a mass boycott of Dstv and the mass cancellation of Dstv subscriptions,” the MKMVA said.