A video surfaced on social media of the group of men attacking a man identified as Jacob Sono and his wife at a KFC drive-through in Pretoria.
Editors note: The audio track on this video is graphic and could disturb sensitive viewers.
PRETORIA – The men accused of viciously attacking a black couple at a KFC drive-through should not be granted bail in order to ensure the safety of the couple, commander of police detectives at the Sinoville Police Station in Pretoria told the Pretoria North Magistrate’s Court on Friday.
Warrant Officer Ravi Vengetsamy Naidoo told the court that racially motivated attacks were prevalent in his area of policing and they usually involved “whites on blacks or blacks on whites”.
Naidoo said the man who had been attacked, the complainant in the case, was vehemently opposed to the release of the alleged assailants on bail.
“The complainant has indicated to me that he is scared and still in a state of shock regarding what transpired. He has also stated that he fears for the safety of his wife and minor kids if the accused are granted bail. The complainant lives in the Sinoville area and if they are released, he will encounter them. He fears that he will be further threatened and intimidated,” said Naidoo.
This is a schedule five offence and there has been a public outcry over the incident. The video of the incident has been circulating on social media. A lot of people have expressed anger and disappointment over the incident,” Naidoo testified during the bail application of three of the accused men.
Stephan Nel, 39, Joshua Scholtz, 21, and Dicky Junior van Rooyen, 21, are facing charges of attempted murder, assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm, and pointing a firearm. Their co-accused, Marius Harding, 23 previously abandoned his bail application and Ockert Muller, 20, has already been granted bail. All five were in court on Friday.
Naidoo pointed out that “members of a political party” were protesting outside the court against granting bail to the accused men. Members of the ANC Women’s League were picketing at the court. Some of its members were in the packed public gallery.
He said that staff of the KFC branch at which the violent attack took place on 2 August were afraid that the accused men would come and “interfere” with them if released on bail.