Fingerprints link suspect to Masilela hijacking


Rhythm City actor Dumi Masilela and his wife Simphiwe Ngema

Rhythm City actor Dumi Masilela and his wife Simphiwe Ngema

JOHANNESBURG – Fingerprints have successfully linked one of the two men arrested in connection with the attempted hijacking of Rhythm City actor Dumi Masilela to the incident.

Masilela was parked in his car in Tembisa on 2 August when a black Jeep approached. A shot was fired at him as he tried to drive away. He later died in hospital.

Prosecutor Lumka Phoswa said in the Benoni Magistrate’s Court on Friday that one set of fingerprints that were found in the hijacked Jeep Wrangler that was apparently involved in the incident last month was positively linked to Mfundo Nkosi.

READ: Magistrate questions link to suspects in Dumi Masilela hijack and murder case

Nkosi and Bongani Masombuka were found in possession of a hijacked Jeep Wrangler, which was allegedly used in the attempted hijacking of Masilela, as well as in possession of an unlicensed firearm. The two are facing charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances.

“Accused one [Masombuka] has been linked via 205 (cellphone records),” Phoswa told the court.

Phoswa added that the second set of fingerprints were suspected to belong to a man who was in custody at the Germiston Police Station after he was found in possession of an unlicensed firearm that Nkosi claimed was used to shoot at Masilela.

On Wednesday, investigating officer Constable Mthokozisi Ngwenya told the court that during Nkosi’s confession he had said the man was the one who fired the shot that killed Masilela.

READ: Tearful Simphiwe Ngema pays tribute to her husband

Phoswa said that the man would be added to the case and an identity parade would be held next week, despite him refusing to have his fingerprints taken after he was arrested.

Masilela succumbed to his injuries at a Tembisa hospital just a month after he tied the knot with actress Simphiwe Ngema.

He had taken up acting after his professional soccer career with Supersport United and Highlands Park was cut short following a car accident.

The matter was postponed to 21 September.