Gallery: Where Senzo Meyiwa was shot

Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa's girlfriend Kelly Khumalo and her younger sister leave a family house in Vosloorus on Monday, October 27. The two arrived early that morning after Khumalo's boyfriend was shot in a robbery there on Sunday night. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa's girlfriend Kelly Khumalo leaves her mother's house in Vosloorus on Monday, October 27. Khumalo reportedly left to file a statement on her boyfriend's death in a robbery, according to a relative outside the house. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
Kelly Khumalo arrives at the Vosloorus house where her boyfriend and the father of her daughter was shot on Sunday, October 26. She was accompanied by her younger sister. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
On Monday, October 26 ward councillor Sammy Mohoaladi visited the Vosloorus home where Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa was fatally shot on Sunday night. Mohoaladi said he saw a bullet mark in a kitchen door at Ntombi Khumalo's house. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
Curious bystanders opposite the Vosloorus house where Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa was shot the night before. Police lifted fingerprints from surfaces in the kitchen, where police say Meyiwa scuffled with armed robbers who stole a mobile phone. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
One of Kelly Khumalo's relatives and her son Christian at the family home where boyfriend Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa was fatally shot on Sunday, October 26. Police cordoned off the house on Monday, October 27 to conduct forensic investigations. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
Over ten police officers, mostly in plain clothes, interviewed neighbours of Ntombi Khumalo on Monday, October 27. Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa was fatally shot in Khumalo's house on Sunday, October 27. He was dating Khumalo's daughter Kelly. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
Journalists were denied access to the Vosloorus house where Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa sustained a fatal bullet wound on Sunday, October 26. Forensic experts combed the kitchen for fingerprints and other evidence on Monday, October 27. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
Plain clothes police officers at the Vooslorus house where Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa was shot on Sunday, October 26. Meyiwa was rushed to hospital after sustaining a bullet wound, and was declared dead on arrival. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
A family friend and Kelly Khumalo's son Christian at the Vosloorus house where Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa was shot during a bungled robbery. Khumalo and Meyiwa were dating and have a daughter together. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates
Police declared the Vosloorus home of Kelly Khumalo's mother, Ntombi, a crime scene after Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa was shot in the kitchen on Sunday, October 26. Meyiwa was declared dead on arrival at a Vosloorus hospital. Photo: eNCA / Erin Bates

VOSLOORUS, Erkhuruleni - On Monday forensic experts lifted fingerprints from the scene of the shooting that led to the death of footballer Senzo Meyiwa.

The prints may help authorities track down three men who fled the scene. However, police do not yet know if the prints belong to the suspects.

Several officers spent most of Monday, October 27 at the house where the shooting occured, with a section of the road demarcated with yellow crime scene tape.

The fatal shot

Bafana Bafana captain Meyiwa was killed in a robbery at the house in Vosloorus, Erkhuruleni on Sunday, October 27.

He had been eating dinner with friends at a house occupied chiefly by his girlfriend's mother, Ntombi Khumalo.

Kelly Khumalo and Meyiwa have a daughter. The couple appeared happy in their relationship and Khumalo had shared a picture of herself with Meyiwa on Instagram shortly before her boyfriend was shot dead.

Police said the incident occurred after 8pm when two men entered the house. A third man had waited outside, according to spokesperson Brigadier Neville Malila. 

The three men fled on foot with a stolen mobile phone, said Malila. 

Finding evidence

Police on duty at the house on Monday said there was evidence of a scuffle. 

"He was moving towards the door as another person was busy struggling with the attacker at the door," detective Charles Johnson told eNCA reporter Narissa Subramoney.

The shooting occured in the kitchen; forensic experts took photographs and lifted fingerprints in that room on Monday, but media were not allowed onto the property. 

Ward 44 councillor Sammy Mohoaladi who observed some of the investigations, said police closed off the room and asked those living in the house not to tamper with the evidence until the crime scene experts had finished their work. 

A relative said Kelly Khumalo's mother Ntombi and a cousin were in the house throughout the day.

Khumalo arrived at the house around 8am with her younger sister but then left, reportedly for a nearby charge office. She had not returned to the house by sunset.

Crime scene experts began to remove the police tape at about 2pm and said they had lifted fingerprints. Ballistics expert Chris Mangena, who made headlines when he testified as an expert witness for the state during the Oscar Pistorius murder trial, was also on site.

No foul play, say police

Speculation as to the motive for the shooting was rife among neighbours and bystanders who came to watch what was happening at the scene from across the road throughout the day.

There was also overwhelming reaction to Meyiwa's death from fans on social media.

South African athletes and some international footballing figures -  including FIFA president Sepp Blatter - also sent condolences.

However, police said the evidence pointed to a shooting that occurred in a moment of panic during an armed robbery.

"Currently we do not have any evidence that suggests that this was a contract killing or that it was a hit," said Johnson.

News of Meyiwa's killing prompted a few tearful press conferences on Monday.

Orlando Pirates manager Keith Khoza said, "I had a session with the players this morning and we did a bit of soul searching. There was a lot of sobbing and crying."

The same day National Police Commissioner Captain Riah Phiyega announced a reward increased to R250,000.

Police had originally offered R150,000 in exchange for information that would lead to the arrest and successful prosecution of those responsible.

By early Tuesday morning, no arrests had been made. This despite what one officer on the scene had said about police being "very close" to catching the culprits.



Discussion Policy would like to send you push notifications.
Notifications can be turned off any time in your browser settings.
You have been registered for browser notifications