High Court dismisses Vuyo Mvoku appeal

WEB_PHOTO_SABC_VUYO_280716

SABC contributing editor Vuyo Mvoko heads to the South Gauteng high court today for the enforcement of his contract as contributing editor after the SABC said he would no longer be used to produce programmes until their dispute was settled.

JOHANNESBURG - The SABC does not have to reschedule SABC freelancer Vuyo Mvoko.

The South Gauteng High Court dismissed the journalist&39;s application earlier this morning, with costs.

He was taken off air last month after he wrote a column in The Star in which he criticised new editorial directives at the broadcaster.

In the piece Mvoko described his time at the SABC as &39;hell&39;.

The broadcaster has suspended him, pending an investigation, for breaching his contract and bringing the corporation into disrepute.

He was offered his job back last week, on condition that he retracts his public comments about the broadcaster.

READ: SABC journalist gets &39;offer with conditional ties&39;

The South Gauteng High Court said on Friday that it will give reasons for the decision on 12 August  while Mvoko said he will appeal the judgment.

The court also ruled that the SABC must review court documents filed by Mvoko, before deciding whether or not to terminate his contract.

In March Mvoko&39;s &39;On The Record&39; show was summarily canned after he hosted Public Protector Thuli Madonsela, and was due to discuss the matter of state capture in the next broadcast.

READ: SABC censorship has reached crisis proportions: DA 

 

Paid Content