Former Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu is testifying at the arbitration hearings on Monday, after much delay.
JOHANNESBURG - The DA’s Jack Bloom says it’s incomprehensible that the Life Esidimeni tragedy is not yet over.
On Monday, the party opened a missing persons case to find 62 patients, who the Gauteng Health Department is unable to locate.
"The police today they said you must apply within 24 hours when someone is missing so I am coming here after 18 months after they were discharged form Life Esidimeni. And the list I am using was supplied by the Gauteng Department of Health last week they sent to various mental helath NGOs," says Bloom.
"They said these are 62 patients that have not be located. There is very little information on that. Some of them do not have names. How it could be that so long after this Esidimeni tragedy we still do not know where the 62 patients are? I think the Gauteng Health Department and other government departments have much more to tell us where these patients are or even whether they are still alive. Maybe they are no longer alive but we need to find out how they died who was responsible for it," he says.