Limpopo roads closed due to rain

WEB_PHOTO_FLOODS_WITKOPPEN_ROAD_030214

Motorists try to negotiate a flooded bridge on Witkoppen Road in Johannesburg on February 3, 2014.

Motorists try to negotiate a flooded bridge on Witkoppen Road in Johannesburg on February 3, 2014.

JOHANNESBURG - Some Limpopo roads were closed on Sunday following heavy rainfall for the past few days, which left at least one person missing after being swept away.

"There has been heavy rains which led to some of our roads been washed away, these resulted in those roads been partly and completely closed," said the department.

The road between Vaalwater and Lephalale was one of the affected and motorists were urged to use R510 or R518 when travelling to Lephalale.

It said two culverts were washed away on the road at Melkrivier leading to Waterberg lodge.

"The Strydom tunnel is operating on one lane, our team is busy attending to the matter to have both lanes operational."

The department urged motorist to be extra cautious and on high alert when travelling on the province&39;s roads.

A 69-year-old woman was still missing after she was washed away with her husband while swimming in an undercover swimming pool in Bela-Bela, Limpopo police said.

They were washed away on Friday in Kariba Lodge when the Bela-Bela dam overflowed, said Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi.

"The top part of the dam burst and the water flowed into Kariba Lodge."

He said a search team was activated when they realised the two were missing.

The body of a 74-year-old man was found on Saturday but his wife was still missing.

"We were anticipating to continue the search today [Sunday] but it cannot happen because of the continuing rain and the river is very full."

He said the search team was on standby to continue the search should the water decrease.

Sixteen families were evacuated from Monotomosetlha informal settlement near Coligny as part of disaster relief effort, said the office of the North West premier on Sunday.

The families were removed from the wetland to an alternative area on Saturday, said spokesman Lesiba Kgwele in a statement.

"The relocation is part of relief effort to ensure that all families who are affected by floods are assisted and that those who are displaced and temporarily accommodated at churches are relocated to a habitable area."

Premier Thandi Modise urged municipalities to adhere to the disaster management protocol and alert the Provincial Disaster Management Centre of all flooding incidents to ensure that relief efforts and support was co-ordinated to reach those in need quicker.

There were no incidents reported in the Eastern Cape, the provincial Local Government and Traditional Affairs department said on Sunday.

"We have not heard any reports of floods yet but we would love to advise our people to be vigilant at all times and parents should ensure their children are safe."

There were no flood-related incidents in Johannesburg and Tshwane by Sunday afternoon.

"Nothing much happened, it did not rain that much to cause any major incident or flooding," said Tshwane Emergency Management Service spokesman Johan Pieterse.

Eskom said it was not expecting any power cuts next week although the system would still be tight.

"The situation is stable at the moment....at this stage there are no power cut planned," said spokesman Andrew Etzinger.

Last week it had to institute rostered power cuts because coal was open cast mines that power electricity generators was wet.

The power grid remain constrained but the public would be informed if there would be any changes, he said,