Mthethwa sentencing postponed

web_photo_Zwelethu_Mthethwa_290316

Internationally-renowned artist Zwelethu Mthethwa, who is accused of beating Nokuphila Kumalo, a 23-year-old sex worker to death in 2013, seen outside the Western Cape High Court, on June 1, 2015 in Cape Town.

CAPE TOWN - The sentencing of convicted murderer Zwelethu Mthethwa&39;s been postponed.

Last month, the Western Cape High Court found Mthethwa guilty of killing 23-year-old Nokuphila Kumalo.

READ: Sex workers celebrate conviction of artist-murderer Mthethwa

The artist is being held at Pollsmoor prison after he was denied bail.

Mthethwa&39;s lawyer says he&39;s asked for a postponement because he&39;s been struggling to gain access to the prison so that a clinical psychologist and social worker can have time to see his client. 

"These are very important reports because we are now dealing with mitigation of sentencing," Mthethwa’s Lawyer, William Booth said.

"Mr Mthethwa has been convicted of murder on the basis of dolus eventulis along the lines of what happened in the Oscar Pistorius matter."

"There is the potential of heavy sentences, so those have to be dealt with in a proper fashion, so that is why we required time, and the judge granted the postponement and the state didn’t oppose it which is a very fair and reasonable request," Booth added.